China Exchange is looking for new Trustees who are committed to inspire, challenge and enable us as we move to the next stage in our development as a leading UK-based cultural organisation with a focus on China, Chinese culture and London’s Chinatown.
Hours: Four meetings per year with informal conversations and occasional event attendance encouraged
Our Trustees are united in a shared understanding of the need for people in the UK to have opportunities to understand more about China and its impact on the world. They are committed to the work that China Exchange does to enable these opportunities. Following a year of significant challenge in UK-China relations, rising racism towards East and South East Asian people, and a Chinatown under pressure, the work of China Exchange has never been more urgent or important.
Our Board of Trustees offer outstanding guidance and we are seeking additional expertise in financial management, income generation and enterprise; fundraising; digital strategy and engagement; and cultural leadership. China Exchange is also seeking Trustees with broader experiences to strengthen decision making.
The deadline for applications is 11:59pm on Sunday 10 July
China Exchange creates opportunities to understand China, Chinese culture and London’s Chinatown. We build connection and engagement between the UK public and China through accessible activities that value heritage and community and explore contemporary China. Since 2015, China Exchange has programmed festivals, curated exhibitions, led volunteer projects and held over 300 events, to create inclusive and unexpected ways for people living in the UK to understand China, Chinese culture and London’s Chinatown. We have welcomed over 32,000 people to our activities.
We motivate people to create stronger connections and cultural links with China at a deeper and more sophisticated level. We do this from the heart of London’s Chinatown in pursuit of a UK where people understand the impact that China has on their daily lives and benefit from this improved understanding.
We do not believe that an interest in China should be considered privileged, niche or unusual. We do not believe that you have to be of Chinese heritage to be interested in Chinese culture.
Our skills and network are in high demand from other organisations seeking our expertise in public engagement. We specialise in building connection, developing understanding, softening barriers, building cultural confidence and doing this in ways that people enjoy.
China Exchange has a skilled and committed staff team who work part time. The organisation has a regular team of around 40 volunteers.
The role of the board of trustees
At its simplest, the role of the trustee board is to receive assets from donors, safeguard them and apply them to the charitable purposes of China Exchange. The trustee board must always act in the best interests of China Exchange rather than themselves, board members must act as a group and not as individuals.
Duties of China Exchange Trustees
The duties of a trustee board member are to:
- ensure that China Exchange complies with its governing document (its Articles of Association), charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- ensure that China Exchange pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
- ensure that China Exchange applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects.
- ensure the financial stability of China Exchange
- contribute actively to the board of trustees by giving firm strategic direction to China Exchange setting overall policy, risk management, defining goals, setting targets, and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- safeguard the good name and values of China Exchange
Trustees are expected to attend an induction session at China Exchange before joining their first board meeting. Trustees are expected to attend all board meetings in person or by phone. Board meetings are held four times a year during normal office hours.
Trustee skills and experience required
Each trustee must have:
- A demonstrable commitment to the values and aims of China Exchange
- A clear understanding of the role of trustee for a small and ambitious organisation
- A relevant network of contacts
- a willingness to meet the minimum time requirement
- good, independent judgement
- an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship for a UK registered charity
- an ability to work effectively as a member of a team and to take decisions for the good of China Exchange.
The board of trustees collectively needs skills and experience in the following areas:
- Financial management, income generation and enterprise
- Fundraising, and foundations and trusts in particular
- Digital strategy and engagement
- Collaborative partnerships at national and international level
- Demonstrable interest in China and insight of China’s influence in the world today
- Lived experience of China, Chinese culture and London’s Chinatown
China Exchange invites applications from interested parties and encourages interest from people of all backgrounds.
For an informal conversation about the roles available please call Freya Aitken-Turff 0207 734 1931.
To apply, send an email and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org