We need confident and dedicated volunteers to work with us on a flexible basis throughout 2022. We will be accepting new members to our wonderful volunteer team at China Exchange until 9 January. Throughout the coming year, we will be developing exciting work that explores contemporary Chinese culture and continue our work with artists, volunteers and community members to maintain our connection with London Chinatown’s heritage.
You can find out more about our work here
In 2021 our volunteers:
- Took part in training on heritage gathering and archiving, advocacy skills, active bystandership, first aid, recognising and reporting hate crime, holding community conversations, guiding skills, Chinatown history.
- Supported projects including the Chinatown Recovery Project, Made in Chinatown, and the Chinatown Stories walking tour project.
- Met with opinion formers and decision makers to discuss topics and ideas that are important to them including holding meetings with MPs at Westminster and with the Met Police.
- Created a Chinatown Food Heritage Trail and documented original oral histories to continue to record Chinatown’s oral history
- Enjoyed creative workshops and activities with artists and designers
- Met new people, made friends and enjoyed a sense of “family” and “community”
We welcome people over 18 with the right to volunteer in the UK from all backgrounds, you do not have to be from a Chinese cultural background or of East or Southeast Asian heritage to be involved in our work. You do not need any specialist knowledge or skills. Volunteer expenses are reimbursed and training is provided.
We will be holding a Team 2022 volunteer welcome day on Saturday 15 January 1030am-2pm, both online and in person. This will be a chance to learn more about the work that we do, meet your fellow volunteers, and find out how you can get involved in the year ahead.
We’re looking for:
- A positive attitude
- People who enjoy working with people
- People who are enthusiastic about learning new things
- People who are interested in cultural heritage protection and promotion
- People with a strong interest in China, Chinese culture and London’s Chinatown
- People who enjoy making crafts or are interested in craft
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills
- Fluency in English. Fluency in Mandarin and/or Cantonese would be a bonus
- Candidates who are over 18 years old and entitled to volunteer in the UK
- Candidates who are reliable and able to volunteer for minimum 2 hours per month from February 2022-December 2022
What we can offer:
- An opportunity to be involved in innovative and fun projects that celebrate London’s Chinatown and contemporary China
- Full training including workshops and activities
- A way to contribute your skills, energy and time with other like-minded people
Interested? We hope so. You can register as a volunteer here and let us know that you’re coming on 15 January here. If you would like to know more or ask us anything, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll reply as quickly as possible.